The Illinois Department of Labor oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating employment of workers under 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law). For your convenience, students may obtain a work permit from their school district.
TO FACILITATE THE PROCESS FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS, THE KANE COUNTY REGIONAL OFFICE OF EDUCATION IS REQUIRED TO VERIFY RECORDS AS OUTLINED IN THE LAW. THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED:
- Call the Kane ROE to make an appointment to verify records with the designated official
During the meeting, the parent/guardian must bring in the following items which will be reviewed:
- Minor Name and Contact Information
- Social Security Number
- Verification of last grade attended
- Statement of Intention from Employer
- Names of Minor’s Parents
- Evidence of Age
- Statement of Physical Fitness from the child’s physician
- The position in which the child will be employed must not constitute a hazardous occupation.
More information can be found at http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/056/056002500D04000R.html
School Physical Forms
The State of Illinois Code requires students entering school for the first time, students entering kindergarten, sixth grade, ninth grade, and transfer students from another state must submit evidence of a physical examination and provide a record of vaccinations.
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and ISBE have revised the form used for school physicals. This form is required for use starting January 1, 2017.
More information on the School Health Program can be found on the IDPH website.