The Illinois Department of Labor oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating employment of workers under 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law). For your convenience, students may obtain a work permit from their school district.
To facilitate the process for parents/guardians, the Kane County Regional Office of Education is required to verify records as outlined in the law. The following steps are required:
- Call the Kane ROE to make an appointment to verify records with the designated official-(630) 232-5963.
- During the meeting, the parent/guardian must bring in the following items which will be reviewed:
- Minor Name and Contact Information
- Social Security Number
- Verification of last grade attended
- Statement of Intention from Employer
- Names of Minor’s Parents
- Evidence of Age
- Statement of Physical Fitness from the child’s physician
- The position in which the child will be employed must not constitute a hazardous occupation.
- Individuals requesting a work permit for a child actor/model must provide evidence of a child performer trust fund in accordance with Section 12 and 12.5 of the Child Labor Law 820 ILCS 205/1. This evidence must be provided prior to receiving a work permit for the child actor/model.
More information can be found at http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/056/056002500D04000R.html